Sunday, February 21, 2010

Interview with Richard Hallebeek


I have been having some correspondence with a few of my favorite artist's ...bugging them for brief interviews. Richard was kind enough to send me this via e-mail..

Hi Jay,

Here's some anwers, feel free to change my rusty English here and there if necessary.
If you have additional questions, let me know.
Rich


(NOTE HERE) I am always impressed by Many European artist's and their command, both in speaking and writing the English language. I could find NO editing issues with Richards reply.

Here is what he had to say..my sometimes trite questions are in this color...its been awhile since I have done any interview.


Do you remember the moment you decided to become
a musician full time?

I was 10 when I started playing the guitar and started taking lessons. I have been gigging since age 12 and started teaching when I was 14 years old.
I never thought of doing anything else really, but when I started my study at the conservatory at age 17 I decided I wanted to make a living making music. Never looked back since.


What was the first record that turned your head.

Around different ages, different records turned my head. Around 10 years old it was The Beatles and Frank Zappa, my sister had all their albums. I played them on my pickup for hours after school. When I was around 12 it was Charlie Parker and Pat Metheny and Weather Report. Later on I found out about Holdsworth and Henderson. I cannot really name one record that did it for me, it has to be different records that you discover at different periods in your life that change the way you look at music and hear music. If I have to name some:

John ColtraneMy Shining Hour

Pat Martino – Road Song

Wes MontgomeryD Natural Blues

Pat Metheny – First Circle

Allan Holdsworth – The 4.15 Bradford Executive

Weather Report – A Remark You Made

And the list goes on..


What would you tell a young kid about playing music.

I teach children from 6 years old.. the main focus is on having fun. If I would try to teach them sight reading or other boring stuff, they would be gone after one lesson. I have to make money so it’s also an economic choice to keep them interested so they keep coming back!

I think it works for adults in the same way. Nobody wants to do boring practice sessions alone at home. The key is to challenge yourself and keep being inspired and keep coming up with fresh ideas. Also try not to be stuck with the image and style you think you should have or the person you should be. Try to reinvent yourself all the time. Have fun.

Do you have any musical favorites/heroes?

All the great players of course continue to keep inspiring me; Wes Montgomery, Allan Holdsworth, Van Halen, John Coltrane, Django Reinhardt, Lalle Larsson, Bach, the list goes on…….


What do you listen to.
Right now there is Jacques Loussier who does a fresh take on Bach with a jazz trio. Incredible stuff!


Is there a musician/group you feel like should
receive better recognition.

I don’t really understand people complaining this or that should receive more recognition. For instance Shawn Lane was a very small artist but he was touring the world and doing his own thing 100%. Being a bigger name means lots of times pressure, signing 5 album deals and coming up with what the audience wants and not what you really would want perse. I think being a small artist has a lot of advantages and gives a lot of freedom. I know of a lot of small artists that are financially starving so to speak, but they also have the freedom of doing their own thing, whatever that is. There is something to say for that freedom. I still don’t make much money making music, but at least I always do what I want whenever I want.

Have you been to "the states".

Sure, I studied at GIT in L.A. for a year and stayed there for a while after my graduation. Been back numerous times to L.A. Great city and great vibe. Lots of musicians and lots of small talk too haha…!



If you had a "soapbox" what would you say.

Anybody here plays anything? Wanna jam?? Let me hear what you can do…!



What are some things you'd like to have
happen/accomplish while you are in "this mortal coil".

Learn how to play the guitar! That answer is too easy.. I’m interested in writing songs and playing an instrument and trying to play what I hear in my head. My head is always ahead of my fingers, so I guess there is always something to work on. You never reach that point that you are satisfied.


What art, including books and movies moved, or move you.

Last book I read was ‘Het Diner’ from Dutch writer Herman Koch, a great read.
I try to stay in touch with the latest movies. Avatar 3D was pretty impressive! Also, I watched 'The Machinist' for the 3rd time last week.

Besides that, anybody creating something original and moving that’s made with heart and soul, I’m interested in checking out.


What music are you listening to now, TRUTHFUL! don't try
to impress!

Jacques Loussier and while writing this, my iTunes library switched to Philip Glass, ‘The Witches Of Venice’. Great album. Thruthful answer!

Whats your world view, do you follow politics?

I try to avoid it as much as I can. Too much sneaky stuff going on there. My job is making music and I think music should be an escape from daily life. I do care about the rainforest and the children in Africa, but I don’t want to write songs about it. Music should be an escape.


Name some musicians you like to play with...
different than who you play with now. Musicians
that would challenge and change you.

Pff… Philip Glass would surely challenge my harmonic knowledge.. and I would like to have been the guitar player in the band with Pekka Pohjola, the Finnish composer who sadly died a couple of years ago. I saw him live a couple of times and he was a great bassplayer and composer.

What sessions can we look forward to there release in the next year.

There’s a new Rene Engel album coming up, Weaveworld from Lalle Larsson is just out. I will have to start writing some material for a new album, possibly RHP II in 2010. Keep an eye on www.richardhallebeek.com for details.



Thank you R.H.!




I "borrowed" this....


www.richardhallebeek.com/





Richard Hallebeek has been playing guitar professionally for over 25 years and has recorded with Shawn Lane, Scott Henderson, Brett Garsed, Frank Gambale, Scott Kinsey, Dan Gilbert, Carl Verheyen, to name just a few.

Born august 2, 1969 in Bilthoven, Netherlands, Richard Hallebeek started playing guitar at age ten and took lessons from local teachers. He formed some local bands and started performing in various Jazz and Rock groups. Influences early on were Pat Martino, Allan Holdsworth, Scott Henderson's first album 'Spears', Eddie Van Halen, Pat Metheny, the radio and every album he could get his hands on at the local library. Already at the age of 17 he was submitted to the Hilversum Conservatory, a conservatory best known for it's strong Jazz history drawing musician's from all over Europe. Richard studied with Jazz legend Wim Overgaauw and Maarten van der Grinten, a.o.

In 1989 Rich was the winner of the Dutch 'Yamaha Band Explosion' with his band 'What A Gig'. The Yamaha Band Explosion is a world wide talent search for bands writing their own material. The grand finale was held at the Budokan Hall, Japan, Tokyo for a 17,000 people screaming Japanese audience. In the jury were, a.o. Bon Jovi, Europe singer Joey Tempest and Casiopea guitarist Issei Noro. Hallebeek finished fourth with "Question of Love'.


In 1993 Richard was chosen out of more then 300 contenders to take part in the International Ibanez Guitar Award for 'Best All round Player'.

The finale was happening in Ahoy, Rotterdam and in the jury were a.o. Alex Skolnick (Testament) and Dutch session ace Lex Bolderdijk. Performing the Jazz Standard 'Road Song', the Rock Classic 'After Midnight' in an 'all instrumental' version and playing an unaccompanied solo, Hallebeek became the second price winner.

Around this time, things start to get real busy, besides already playing in different groups, there's also teaching and doing countless sessions and studio hours for radio, movies, commercials, (Dutch PTT Phonecompany, Hooghoudt, Region Police, Fokker, etc.etc.) and TV.

In 1994 he received a scholarship for a foreign study from the Prins Bernhard Fonds. At the end of '94 he leaves to Los Angeles for a one year study at the Musician's Institute to study ear training, composition and improvisation. He studies with Scott Henderson, Dan Gilbert, TJ Helmerich and Brett Garsed, a.o. He graduates with an honors degree.

It's at Orchid Avenue, Hollywood, where Richard meets his 'improvising over strange chord progressions' neighbor, Antti Kotikoski, a young guitar player from Finland. Antti has a big influence on the way Rich looks at music, composing and improvising. Together they team up to do a weekly performance at the Musician's Institute with various musician's at first, but later notably with Jan Fabricky on drums and J.K. on bass. Their goal is to write strong material, while still staying true to their guitar roots and leaving a lot of room for improvisation. Influences in their music can be anything, ranging from Rock, Fusion, Jazz to Pop and Heavy Riffs since they both have such a varied background. They continue to perform all year and record their first album in the M.I. studio, (now known as 'Tommy Tedesco' studios where numerous artists have recorded CD's since the first recordings of Richard and Antti) which was an initiative from engineer and eight finger tapping guitar wonder TJ Helmerich (now with Planet X). Some players who stop by to jam at those recording dates are Scott Henderson, M.I. teacher Dan Gilbert, Carl Verheyen and Frank Gambale.

At the end of '94, Richard gets the call from guitar guru Mark Varney well know for his monthly 'Spotlight Column' in Guitar Player and his Legato Records label who had featured so many great players Richard was heavily into before moving to L.A. Mark had heard some rumors about two hot new players and was interested in hearing some music.

At the beginning of '95 Richard and Antti sign a four album contract with the Legato label and Mark Varney. The first CD 'Generator' was released in November '96. Featured on that album are also Scott Henderson, (Chick Corea, Joe Zawinul) Frank Gambale, Dan Gilbert, Scott Kinsey (Keyboardist from Tribal Tech) and Carl Verheyen (Probably the most recorded guitarist in L.A session history.)

In '98 back in Amsterdam, Holland, 'True Colors', from Richard's rock group Maximum Brain Disfunktion is printed in a small quantity and sold at local gigs around Holland.

The beginning of 2000 brings a welcome distraction from the usual fusion stuff: Rich plays a 6 month tour, playing 6 nights a week, performing Händel’s classical masterpiece ‘The Young Messiah’ throughout the Benelux.

Rich also starts gigging around with drummer René Engel, probably best known for his CD project 'Jazz Sick' with Mike Stern and Danny Gottlieb.
In march '98 'Spheres of Samarkand' is released which features alot of outstanding guitarwork. Featured on that CD are also:Jeroen de Rijk (Mezzoforte), Nippy Noya (percussion legend). In 2003 ‘Nostalgia’ is released which further showcased the style of Rich which is moving more and more in his own original direction.

2003 Rich thinks it’s about time to do it his way, all the way. He initiates the Richard Hallebeek Project and gets help from some of his musical friends: Shawn Lane and Brett Garsed both contribute four solos. The band consists of a few of his musical heroes, young drummer Bas Cornelissen and keyboard virtuoso Lale Larson both contribute songs for the RHP and are heavily involved in the creative process, making it more of a band effort. Within a month after it’s release on the new guitar oriented U.K. Liquid Note Records label, RHP tops guitar9.com being the best selling and most popular fusion album and the album gets rave reviews through out the world.

There have been interviews and reviews with and about Richard in the 'Guitarist' and the Dutch 'Music Maker', American 'Guitar World' and 'Jazz Times' and the Japanese 'Young Guitar' and the Italian 'Axe'.

Richard Hallebeek has an endorsement with Brian Moore Custom Guitars USA (playing a C-90),KOCH guitar amps and speaker cabinets and Diezel amps. He has a habit of using too many pedals.

Where does the journey end? Stay tuned and we will see.


and some vid links....



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McvEQhLwU2k




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_E-0S7SteQ



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3M9_8RzZJo




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAMyyGD5Ip4

No comments:

Post a Comment