Tuesday, February 16, 2010

One Spirit Go for it!


one spirit go for it
author: jay dorrance

Allright, I have to admit..I'm biased.
I will buy ANYTHING with the Dutch guitarist, Richard Hallebeek. But, I'll tell you One Spirit is a band to be on the lookout for as well.
Their eponymous named 2005 release was a killer eye (ear)opener. I have to admit Sebastiaan Cornelissen and Frans Vollink were unfamiliar names to me and it was the impressive list of "guest" musicians like Randy Brecker and Susan Weinert that got me to purchase their first release.





What a great surprise that CD was! It instantly became one of my favorite releses of 2005. These guys form a monstrous rhythm section and with the addition of long time collaborator Hallebeek they are one of the best electric jazz bands going.
Cornelissen and Vollink both have distinct "voice" and as a fan in particular of bass players ( Jaco, Percy jones) I really like Frans Vollink's fat fretless tone.
"Go for it" nicely avoids the sophomore jinx ( I guess when you take 3-4 years between releases you can save up some good material..jeez guys!)I have waited a long time for this their second effort and it was no letdown.
Anyway, I'm am not going to break down "go for it" track by track, but I will tell you fans of Tribal Tech, Allan Holdsworth or just plain high energy electric jazz should not miss this. Comparing music is just a way to give people a hint of what the music's about..but I'll say this..in a few years I would not be surprised to read a review stating: " These guys sound like One Spirit".
My only complaint: why not a double CD? (unless that increased the wait for another release). I am really hoping that, like many other musicians of late these guys offer a CD baby live release. They have to absolutely kill it live.

Best thing I have heard so far this year. Thanks guys! Money well spent.


http://cdbaby.com/cd/onespirit

No comments:

Post a Comment