Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Fresh Talent: Scott Mcgill

Talent deserving wider recognition guitarist Scott Mcgill



Frankly, I figure if Downbeat can do it why not me!

Its ALL Allan Holdsworth's fault really (hows that for a logic dis-connect). What I am talking about is this...every once in a while a musician comes along with a whole new style or sound, their ideas change (or add) to the musical paradigm and I would argue that Mr. Holdsworth is one of those very musicians.

Back in the late 70's early eighties I used to get in discussions about who gets the credit for the legato "sheets of notes" with accompanying slurring lay-off's so familiar in Holdsworth's playing. Not to mention the bizarre fingerings and speed...it was nuts! My rocker/metal Friends would claim that Eddie Van Halen led the way, I scoffed. I mean certainly Eddies got loads of talent, but he's not Holdsworth.


.

That point made, and now 20+ years down the road there is a whole "holdsworth school". Fairly or unfairly, guitarist's get clumped into this.


Enter Scott Mcgill.


Mcgill does play at times in the holdsworth school..but more like a metal version of Holdsworth's I.O.U. band. Its good. CRUNCHY. Also..I gotta tell you MCGILL STANDS OUT. The trio stuff with Manring et al is great music, you need this. I am just about to spin over to mcgill own site to load up on a couple of his newer releases..since he hooked up with David Torn his playing has taken the great leap forward (sorry Mao).
There's also a trio with percy jones, for some reason the only way to get it is I-tunes (yow) It's nuts. I detest I-tunes...but ...I had to.

Scott, some oddballs (like me) like to actually hold a CD.



Do this now....The download of percy/mcgill is the best thing I have heard all year!





the album...

Scott McGill: Freak Zoid
Scott McGill: Freak Zoid
Scott McGill (Guitars, iGuitar Synth, Roland GR-33, Fretless Guitar on "Seven Zoid"); Ritchie DeCarlo (Drums, Battery 2 Softsynth Percussion, Theremin, Gongs, Vibes, Moog Voyager); Kjell Benner (Fender Bass, EHX Bi Filter, Midi Moog Voyager on "Ginger Canyon"); Dave Kloss (Chapman Stick, Midi Moog Voyager); Special Guest: Percy Jones (Fretless bass on "Anvil Purse").

With the dissolution of McGill Manring Stevens, Scott McGill continues to explore the outer realms of rock and fusion with his new band Freak Zoid. On board is Ritchie DeCarlo on drums and assorted analog keys, Kjell Benner on bass and Dave Kloss on Stick. Percy Jones is the guest bassist on one track. The music has a far more experimental quality than MMS. Freak Zoid buries its roots in improvisation resulting in a more band oriented sound than McGill's previous solo album Awareness. The refinement and restraint is most welcome.















1 comment:

  1. Dear Jaybird,

    I know this is a bit late but thank you for posting this as it's greatly appreciated. I have been releasing material since 1997 in one form or another and I will continue to do so. Thank you for posting about my work and let's keep in touch if possible.

    Best,

    Scott

    ReplyDelete